Our Holiday Family Books




We have so many favourite Christmas and Winter themed books. Many of them we do not own, we borrow them from the library every year. 

We own a few that I have collected over the years and these I put away with the decorations, along with the Christmas music and movies. As much as I love this time of year, I don't really enjoy listening to Frosty the Snowman or watching Elf in the middle of summer. When my teens were little, I decided to put everything away, decorations, Christmas mugs, placemats, books, etc..




It has worked out nicely in our home because every year, when I bring up the boxes, it is almost as if everything is now or it's like seeing an old friend again! 

As we read some from our new-to-us public library this year, I will share our top favourites. I have share often over the years in my old Book Sharing Monday feature here , here, here, and here (there are more, but that's enough for now!) but for now is a short list of our own top favourite Christmas read aloud books (click on each title for links):

Kringle by Tony Abbott

When Santa Fell to Earth by Cornelia Funke

Auntie Claus by Elise Primavera (also 2 other titles)

Nutcracker by E.T.A. Hoffman (we have this version retold by Fiona Black and illustrated by Scott Gustafson

The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg 

Frosty the Snowman by Steve Nelson and Jack Rollins 

The Night Before Christmas by Clement Moore (we have this Jan Brett version) . 

What are your favourite Holidays, Christmas or Winter-themed family read alouds? 





Comments