The Splendid Sampler ~ The First Six Blocks



The Splendid Sampler is a sew-along hosted by Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson. It is a free project, all the details can be found at The Splendid Sampler.  The sampler will have 100 6 inch blocks when it is finished. It just started on Valentine's Day. Pat and Jane invited 83 designers to submit block designs, and these designers are also doing the sew along! There will be different techniques used throughout. 

I first noticed this project on instagram. I love instagram! I wasn't sure I was doing the right thing when I created a separate account for my Life On Island Studio, but I am so glad I did. I mostly post photos of my handmade things on that one. 



With that instagram (as opposed to my "main older" IG @lifeonisland), I follow other creative people, a lot of quilting, fabric designers and shops, as well as Etsy artisans accounts. Whenever I scroll through that feed, it is a wonderful beautiful experience! I don't regret having two accounts one bit, also now that Instagram added the feature of flipping back and forth between my accounts easily..it's awesome. 

Anyway, back to the Splendid Sampler...I noticed a few blocks that friends made for it. I asked Tine  and she helped me with all the info I needed to know. 

I decided to use fabric scraps I already have for the blocks, but I will try to keep a colour theme going. I started about a week ago and I am caught up, ready to work on today's block. Blocks are released on Thursdays and Sundays. 

All the blocks with their instructions and each designer info can be found here

It's been fun to try different designs, and challenging too! 

Here are my first six blocks, in individual photos: 

Block 1 ~ Hearts Aflutter designed by Pat Sloan

Block 2 ~ Wings designed by Jane Davidson


Block 3 ~ Lots of Love designed by Melissa Corry 

Block 4 ~ Happy Happy designed by Jen Kingwell

Block 5 ~ Simple Simon designed by Celine Perkins
Block 6 ~ Focal Point designed by Natalia Bonner



Comments