Harry Houdini books and links

Andre had to do a little biography project for public school. He narrowed down his choices to either Albert Einstein or Harry Houdini...After a quick search at our library website, he chose to do his project on Harry Houdini.

I would like to share with you a few books and a couple of links for websites that we have enjoyed over the last two weeks. This would make a fun and interesting unit study. My son and I have enjoyed learning more about this magician. I am sure there are other wonderful books available on Houdini, but these were the ones available to us at our library.

Here are the books:

"Houdini, World's Greatest Mystery Man and Escape King" written by Kathleen Krull and illustrated by Eric Velasquez was my son's favourite book. A mixture of picture book and biography, he read it again and again!



"Harry Houdini, a Magical Life" by Elizabeth MacLeod was the perfect book for my son's research. It does cover Houdini's life from his birth to his death, including many photographs of himself, and of his props (handcuffs, milk can, etc), posters, newspaper clippings, maps, etc.. Very interesting book.


"The Secret of The Great Houdini" by Robert Burleigh is a beautifully illustrated picture book, telling the story of a young boy that watches Houdini perform one of his tricks.



"Escape! The Story of the Great Houdini" was full of photographs and posters from his acts, along with the biography written by Sid Fleishman.



I don't have a photo for the next book, it was due back at the library, but it was an interesting one as well. In the format of a graphic novel, it captured my son's interest.

Last, we haven't read this particular book yet, but I thought I would share it anyway. It looks like a fun series. "Danger in the Dark" is the first in the Houdini and Nate Mysteries series.




A few links :


a.k.a Houdini (online companion to a museum exhibit) - also has teacher's resources and a "try this at home" section!

Comments