Book Sharing Monday :: A Child's Introduction to Poetry


We are just about finished with our Poetry study for this month of April. I used this book "A Child's Introduction to Poetry" as our spine. It is written by Michael Driscoll and illustrated by Meredith Hamilton. It includes an audio CD that has many poems read by professional actors.
The book is divided into two sections, the first part explains the different styles of poetry, from nursery rhymes to the sonnet. The book explains over twelve different styles of poetry, all with examples and most with audio samples as well.
The second part showcases twenty-one famous poets, in chronological order starting with Homer and finishing with Maya Angelou.
I have never been a huge fan of poetry, but discovering it with this book, along with my children has made me appreciate it a lot more!


I have added tabs to the top of this blog (right under the header picture), you can now find all information about Book Sharing Monday under its tab. I hope you will join us!

Comments

  1. We enjoy poetry too. Will have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about your Book Sharing Monday, but I will add it to my list of kid book memes
    http://www.playingbythebook.net/2010/04/12/on-finding-new-inspiration-weekly-book-memes/
    The other memes I participate in all use Mr Linky and it works very well in my experience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment