52 books :: Book 5 :: The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate


The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate is Jacqueline Kelly's debut novel. I have to be honest, I was first attracted to this book because of the cover. Isn't it beautiful? The yellow and the black, I love!
Anyway, after finding out what the story was about, I decided to give it a try.

It is the story of Calpurnia, a young girl living with her family in the South in 1899. She discovers nature and science with the help of her grandfather and through that experience discovers herself. Being a girl during that time period means that she is expected to have a certain future, and that might not be the one she is hoping for.

I really enjoyed this novel and would recommend for any young girl (probably 10 and up) that enjoys nature and a bit of history.

Comments