Poetry Tea Time :: Jabberwocky & The Poets' Corner


After a full summer, we are now starting back to a more routine lifestyle. We resumed the Tuesday Poetry Teatime today. 

We had read a few poetry books over the summer, but not regularly. This simple routine has become something Celeste and I look forward very much. Now, Andre joins us. 

Today, we read two poems. The Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll.  I love reading this poem aloud. The nonsense poems are always favourites with us. 

Earlier this summer, I found the Poets' Corner: The One-and-Only Poetry Book for the Whole Family by John Lithgow.  We started at the beginning of the book and read the Dover Beach poem by Matthew Arnold. I read the introduction John Lithgow gives before the poem aloud too, but I think I will skip it next time or at least pre-read it to see if it might be of interest. It was interesting to me, but not to my children. We will keep on reading one poem from this book every week, along with other books. 




The treats went very well today, a delicious chocolate zucchini bread and a caramel apple cut in pieces. We had David's Tea Butterfly Jasmine Tea, which fabulous!

Here is the recipe for the chocolate zucchini bread, from Creations by Kara


Chocolate Zucchini Bread
1/3 cup oil (I used greek yogurt)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
1/3 cup milk or water
1 tsp vanilla
1 2/3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp cloves
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup chocolate chips (mini work the best)
1/3 cup chopped nuts, optional
Whisk oil, sugar, eggs, zucchini, water, and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients, chips, and nuts. Pour into a large greased loaf pan. (I line mine with parchment paper.) Bake at 325 for 50-60 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean.

If you are curious about Poetry Tea Time, visit the Brave Writer Lifestyle section: Poetry Teatimes. 

Comments