52 Books :: Goodreads Challenge

This is my fourth year doing the Goodreads Challenge. I have always liked to read and keeping track of the books I read on Goodreads is simple and quick for me. I also like the ability to log the books that I will want to read next and also seeing what friends are reading. 




I looked back on the list of books I read in 2013. and here are my favourites. 


My very favourite has to be a non-fiction title: Project Based Homeschooling by Lori Pickert This book had a big impact on our homeschooling and was inspiring to read. I had written about it here while I was still in the middle of reading it. 

Even though the title says homeschooling, I think it would benefit all parents and teachers too. 

You can read more about this book and reviews here

From Goodreads: 

"Project-based homeschooling combines children’s interests with long-term, deep, complex learning. This is an essential experience for children: to spend time working on something that matters to them, with the support of a dedicated mentor. This book is an introduction and guide to creating the circumstances under which children can teach themselves. The author gives parents concrete tips for helping children do challenging, meaningful, self-chosen work. From setting up a workspace that encourages independence to building a family culture that supports self-directed learning to concrete suggestions for a step-by-step approach to inquiry-based investigation, Project-Based Homeschooling shares techniques for mentoring independent, confident thinkers and learners."




Scarlet is the second book in the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. I read Cinder in 2012 and really enjoyed this novel inspired by the traditional fairy tale.

From Goodreads: 

"Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive. 
Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner."

Another favourite this past year was a non-fiction again. There wasn't many novels I enjoyed just myself. I did read several books aloud to Celeste and we both liked them but wanted to share my personal favourites here. 


The Gentle Art of Domesticity by Jane Brocket is a wonderful encouraging book for all that enjoy the "gentle arts". I don't think I have ever come across a book like this. 

From Goodreads: 

"This gorgeous and unusual book, full of whimsy, warmth, and a wealth of stunning photographs, helps us to see domesticity with new eyes. Whether she’s knitting a tea cozy or baking jam tarts, crocheting a blanket or sewing an apron, Brocket fills her home with beauty, color, and fun. She transforms day-to-day domesticity into a realm of possibilities, both practical and imaginative—and encourages us to do the same in our own lives."


Celeste and I enjoyed several books together. Some of my favourites that I read aloud to her were : 




A Nest for Celeste: a Story about Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home by Henry Cole. 

Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai

The Hero Schliemann: The Dreamer Who Dug for Troy by Laura Amy Schlitz

I challenged myself to read 52 books in 2014. I am hoping to discover new favourites this year! 



Comments

  1. PBH is a great book and mine has so many dogears and bookmarks in it. :)

    I think I have to add all books you mentioned to my 'to read' list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered your blog and am enjoying reading through your recent posts. Thanks for the book recommendations, I am adding them to my Goodreads list!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment