The Kettle Black : Black & Blue BBQ + Veggie Burger

My husband and I went out for an early anniversary dinner yesterday to The Kettle Black in Charlottetown. We both wanted to try the burgers there. He wanted to try the Black & Blue BBQ burger for PEI Burger Love and me, the Veggie Burger. 

PEI Burger Love is a month-long yearly event, in April, that celebrates Prince Edward Island beef. Fifty four restaurants are participating this year, sharing their own unique creations with islanders and visitors. 

I think my husband's favourite month is now April.


Black & Blue BBQ ~ PEI Burger Love at The Kettle Black

The Black & Blue BBQ is described as having an 8oz Island beef patty, whipped blue cheese, Kettle Black 142 Glaze, cabbage & fennel slaw, and tarragon sour cream on a warm house bun infused with coffee and chillies. 

Shawn was surprised how much he loved this burger since he is not a fan of blue cheese. The combination of all the flavours were perfect. 

I am a vegetarian, I don't join my husband in his PEI Burger Love fest, so he often brings the burger home just for himself. When we go out though, we try to find a restaurant that also offers a vegetarian burger. 

I noticed Chef Robert Pendergast's tweet at the beginning of the month and knew we had to go visit The Kettle Black. My girls and I love this small cafe restaurant (see here and here).  


from twitter



Veggie Burger

The Veggie Burger at the Kettle Black was absolutely delicious. I was moaning (seriously!) through the whole experience. 

There are many fresh flavours and textures, aioli and red pepper hummus, soaked beans, lentils, spices of Caribbean and Mexican influence, eggplant, mushrooms, onions, and more...it was truly AMAZING. The bun made also in house was the perfect compliment. 



The little potatoes were very tasty and just the right amount to partner with this burger. 



We chatted with Chef Pendergast about his creations after our meal. It is wonderful to listen to someone that loves his art, you could feel his creativity and passion for food. He explained that his veggie burger will be evolving and changing to reflect fresh ingredients. I am looking forward to having this one again. I also want to try other items from his menu...



Not only the food is excellent but we love the look of this place, the open kitchen and the bookshelves filled with cookbooks.







Lastly, but definitely worth mentioning, is the Chai Latte. I get mine made with almond milk and it is truly the best tasting one I have had. 



The photo above is when I was almost finished, but here is one from my ipod, before I had a drink. Mmmm....



You can find The Kettle Black at 98 Water Street in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.  


This review is based on my personal experience and I did not receive compensation of any kind for it. I like to share with my readers our adventures.

Comments

  1. Ma famille et moi seront à Charlottetown pour le long weekend et je cherchais justement des restaurants où manger. Nous allons définitivement l'essayer. Merci Alex :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated anniversary! So fun! It's always an experience to try veggie burgers at restaurants. Sometimes you just know they just bought the burger at the grocery store and cooked it up and sometimes you score and get a home made original! Looks so so good...and with all those books around I don't think I'd ever leave!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment