Farmer's Wife 1930's Sampler Quilt ~ Introduction, Becky & Bonnie





I am a little late but I have decided to participate in the Farmer's Wife 1930's Sampler Quilt Sew-Along! This quilt along started at the end of September. You can join anytime! When I looked at the blocks already made by other quilters, I knew I had to do this too. I had noticed another Farmer's Wife Quilt sew-along before, but this version seems more to my taste. Instagram has many photos (2547 when I just checked!) for this project, check out #fqs1930farmerswife ! I will be posting my blocks on my LifeOnIslandStudio instagram  . 

The book "The Farmer's Wife 1930s Sampler Quilt" by Laurie Aaron Hird is filled with inspiring letters excerpts sent by 1930s women to the "Letters From Our Farm Women" column to the The Farmer's Wife magazine. Each letter has a different quilt block and the quilt along follows each one. Block assemblies and cutting instructions are included, as well as a CD with the templates for each block. 

There are 99 different blocks in total in the book. I haven't decided how many blocks I will make yet, but I am planning on either making at least the twin-size quilt which has 84 blocks. I will be blogging about this project and the letters that are attached to each block. 

Angie at Gnome Angel is hosting this event with the Fat Quarter Shop. She shares block tutorials, blogs about each block, and also hosts link up parties. There is also a great list of official bloggers





I was a little confused at first with the block numbers. Each block has a number that, I think, is the letter number. I decided to write a list in my bullet journal to keep me organized. 





The first block is #12 Becky. Her letter "Quit Merely Existing" has a great message. She almost looses her husband to sickness and remembers how happy her life was when they were first married. She decides to live the rest of her life "differently - a little more of the cream check for "goodies", which my husband and children enjoy...". It was a nice reminder to read. 



My block isn't perfect but I love it and it wasn't because of poor instructions! The template and instructions were very clear. I used some of the Tiger Lily fabric by Heather Ross. These are so sweet! 




The second block is #16 Bonnie. Her letter is "Rain for the Soul". This letter mentions God but the wisdom is universal for everyone, regardless of religious choice: "Water your soul with loving-kindness and reap the reward of content and peace". 




If you are interested in joining this sew-along, you can find information at Gnome Angel Farmer's Wife 1930's Sampler Quilt Sew-Along FAQ. 


GnomeAngel.com

Comments

  1. I just got my sewing machine out of the closet so I might partake in this. I will see if my library has this book in the system. I love quilting but maybe I should finish the one I started 20 years ago (the binding scared me off of finishing it.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment