Enjoying Winter + Hibernate Online Retreat

Winter Solstice is just around the corner and I have been thinking about this a lot over the last few days..Winter in Canada was a huge shock when I first moved here. I had grown up in a Mediterranean climate and was used to cool rainy winters. My first winter, back in 1990 in South Western Ontario was tough on me. I remember going for a walk with a cousin to the corner store and thinking my ears were going to fall off, they were so cold! 


A walk along the beach in the winter with Orion and my husband

I never became a big fan of winter until I had children. Seeing their happiness when it snowed, especially when we lived North of Toronto, and all the fun they had outside made me look at this particular season in a different way. Still, if you had asked me a few years ago what my favourite season was, I would not have hesitated for a second and would have told you "summer"! 


Along the river in winter

Since moving to Prince Edward Island, I have experienced winter with a different view. 

I see it as a hibernating season. Not necessarily hibernating like a bear, that never comes out until spring, but more of a time to slow down and enjoy the simple things, like a warm cup of herbal tea and a cozy quilt. I do enjoy simple things all year round, but I am more on the go the rest of the year. Winter, especially on the island, with its storms often leads to truly staying put inside, watching the wintry winds blowing outside. Maybe I am just getting older, but I have felt a definite shift. 

Here are a few small things I have found pleasure in over the winter months: 

Seeing snow up close with the help of the easy macro gadget. Amazing!




Snowshoeing for the first time was a lot of fun, I hope to do it again. 




Ice skating outside with my family. 




Taking many walks on our favourite nature trail. Sometimes I go alone, sometimes with one or two of my children, sometimes with Orion, sometimes with my husband...I love every time! 






I should add that I also make sure to take vitamin D daily in autumn and all the way until spring. It makes a big difference to keep the winter blues away. 


At the start of this year, I took an online workshop called Hibernate. It was an online retreat that really helped me get through the winter. It was filled with articles, ideas, recipes, and activities that made winter so enjoyable. 

I enjoyed it so much that I am taking part again this year! If you are interested, check out the information at this link. It will start January 11, 2016 and will last four weeks. There is a special offer until December 21st, you can bring a friend for free! I have taken Heather's workshops with a friend each time and we split the cost. 

So far, I have taken her 30 Day Vegan (2014), Hibernate (2015), Summer Soul Camp (2015), and just this fall the Whole Food Freezer Cooking. I wrote only a few blog posts about these {Hibernate 2015, 30 Day Vegan }, but hope to write more about my experiences this coming year! Her workshops are truly amazing. 





What do you like to do during the winter to make it more enjoyable? 

Comments

  1. Hello! I'm new to your blog, but I found it via Beauty That Moves. I'm doing Hibernate this year as well! I've never done one before, but it sounds just like what I need at this point, to get me through the dire days of January and February. I hope you don't mind if I keep reading you as well?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment