My 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge + Favourite Books List



This was my fifth year participating in the Goodreads Challenge. I challenged myself to read 52 books again in one year. To say I love to read would be an understatement! 




It's fun and interesting to look back on what I read this year, which were my favourites and which ones I just couldn't get into or finish. 

Goodreads is an excellent app and website to keep track of books. I use it for logging in the books I read and also to get suggestions on what to read next. I enjoy the community aspect as well. 

Many of the books I read are read aloud to Celeste. This year, I tried to only add the "longer" books. If I added all the picture books we still read together, I would likely be in the 1000 books read range! Good picture books are for all ages. 




I have read aloud some fantastic books, thanks to Brave Writer Arrow program. Honestly, almost every book we read each month for this language arts program becomes our new favourite.

I also read aloud several amazing stories through writing book reviews for Raincoast Books this year. 

To choose my favourites is challenging, but here are my top 10 favourite books I read this year, with links to book reviews I wrote when applicable. I divided these between read alouds and books I read for myself. 


Favourite Read Alouds, the ones *I* loved:





The Categorical Universe of Candice Phee by Barry Jonsberg  is the quirky story of a twelve year old girl who is unique and trying to understand the world around her.  

Wonder by R.J. Palacio is a beautiful story that I think everyone should read. 

Finding Serendipity by Angelica Banks is an imaginative mother-daughter adventure that we both enjoyed reading. 


Favourite books I read for myself: 





Wanderlust: A Modern Yogi's Guide to Discovering Your Best Self  by Jeff Krasno is a truly inspiring and very useful yoga book. I keep referring back to it for more than just yoga! 

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo really was life changing for me! It changed the way I looked at things, from what was already in our house to potential purchases. My KonMari blog posts were your favourites this year too! 

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell was the first audio book I truly enjoyed. I loved the story and listening to it was a magical experience. I haven't been able to find another audiobook I could get into since. My friend Lori and I were so happy to meet Rainbow in July, here on our little island! I did read Fangirl and Carry On this year too and loved both, but Eleanor & Park still is my favourite! 




How To Catch a Frog by Heather Ross was another favourite. I need to discover more books like this one. 

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr is a book I read for the local book club I belong to. It was my favourite this year that we read, one that I would pick up and read again. 

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson is an amazing young adult novel. I kept re-reading sentences because they were so beautifully written. I should have copied them in my bullet journal! My second favourite Young Adult novel this year, after Eleanor & Park. 


I am giving myself the same challenge in 2016, to read 52 books! How about you?




Comments

  1. Yes, I am doing it again too. So much fun and learning! It's amazing how different our book lists can be, but I enjoyed Marie Kondo's book too.

    And Goodreads is a wonderful program. This year I want to figure out how to download all my reading lists of the past few years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment